Last year an 8th grader came to me asking for Opposing Viewpoints book to use for her teen pregnancy project. My response of “We no longer have that series of books” was quickly followed by the students saying, “My teacher said I have to use an Opposing Viewpoints book!”
At which point, I probably gave a too-detailed explanation of Gale’s Opposing Viewpoints database. But, there is so much to say about it!
- Access to 778 reference books (“85-90% of each title is included in Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Some material is omitted because of online rights issues.”)
- Access to 271 journals.
- A video tutorial on searching the database.
- Tools to help them get started on their assignment and tools to help them wrap it up!
- Access to free lesson plans!
- A rotating banner of current events related to possible research topics!
-Kelly R, Sewickley Public Library of the Quaker Valley School District