As you have probably heard, the original OverDrive app is being discontinued to help libraries welcome more users to Libby. The goal is to simplify how libraries promote digital collections, train staff, and support users.
OverDrive recently shared an update regarding the status of the original OverDrive app (which was officially removed from app stores last February).
Upcoming steps from OverDrive
- OverDrive plans to fully discontinue the OverDrive app in early 2023. In the meantime, library staff are being asked to actively encourage OverDrive app users to switch to Libby.
- Starting the week of July 25, the following message will be displayed to users in the OverDrive app:
Later this year, this in-app message will be updated to remind users about this change. Libraries will receive advance notice and more information ahead of this update.
But What About Fire Tablet Users?
Great question! While Amazon has not yet accepted OverDrive’s submission of the Libby app to the Amazon Appstore, Kindle Fire users can now download the app onto their device manually. This work-around is supported on Fire tablets running Fire OS 5 and up.
Fire tablet users who do not wish to install the app manually can also use LibbyApp.com. This browser-based version functions almost exactly like the Libby app.
OverDrive encourages library staff to use the following resources to help your library and users through this transition:
For library staff:
- Bookmark this Resource Center page for helpful FAQs, a preparation checklist, and staff training materials.
- Use this marketing kit to help get the word out to your staff and community.
- Register for a live Q&A session with members of team OverDrive on June 22. If you are not able to join live, you can still register to get a link to the recording.
- In-app messaging will link users to this overview page for more information, FAQs, and helpful video tutorials.
- How-to videos on Libby Help walk users through how to use the app.
- Beginning in August, your users can sign up for virtual training sessions hosted by team OverDrive.
- Kindle Fire users can now download the app onto their device manually. These steps are also linked to from https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby.
-Richelle Klug @ Sewickley Public Library