Several people have recently asked if it is possible to return Kindle ebooks early. The answer is YES! Here’s how to do it:
- Go to “Manage Your Kindle” on the Amazon site to access a list of your titles. Public library titles are indicated by the words “public library” in orange. (You will need to be logged in to see your library.)
- Using the “Actions” drop-down button on the far right select “Return the book.” (There is also a “Delete from Library” option, but that will just remove it from the list and it will remain checked out to you until the end of the loan period.)
- Confirm the deletion when prompted.
- The title will still be listed in your Amazon account, but if you select the “Actions” button again you will see that returning the book is no longer an option. At this point you can delete the book from your list, if you wish.
Screen shot instructions of this process are coming soon.
You can also return ePUB eBooks early from the OverDrive Media Console App. Make sure you are in the bookshelf portion of the app. Tap “edit” at the top left of the screen. This will bring up a red circle next to each book on your bookshelf. Tap the red circle next to whichever book you wish to to delete. You will be prompted to choose to delete and return the book or delete without returning. Select the former and your book will be returned and removed from the app.
UPDATE: Amy Ergler provided directions for early returns using an Android device. Thanks, Amy!
I’d like to point out that Sarah’s instructions for returning EBUP books early from the OverDrive Media Console App were written for iPad/iPod users. The process is different for Android users:
1. Open the App. You should be automatically taken to the bookshelf.
2. Long click (basically, press and hold) the book that you want to return until a menu pops up.
3. From the menu, choose “Delete,” the last option on the list. This will bring up a second menu.
4. From the second menu, you may choose “Return then Delete,” “Delete Only,” or “Cancel.”
5. Select “Return then Delete.” (Choosing “Delete” will remove the book from your device, but it will still be checked out to you.)